Looking for something? Try here...

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spinning and weights.

My husband is out of town for a few days so after I did 30 minutes of Pilates at home, I went to spin class this morning alone.  It was a really good class.  I gauge my workout success during spinning by the depth of the pool of sweat under my bike by the end.  Today, it was like a wading pond. :)  After class, I did about 30 minutes of weights, mostly upper body but also a couple of leg exercises.

I'm reading a book right now called, "A Return to Virtue" by Elaine S. Dalton, in which the author compares her journey as she trained for and ran her first marathon with the discipline and self-control that is required to be a virtuous person.  I love this quote: "As we run life's race, it is virtue, meaning purity and power, that will sustain us through the long miles."  I'm only about half-way through the book right now, but I keep thinking about how much sense this idea makes, and wondering why I haven't been able to make more of a connection myself.  I train hard, I'm dedicated to doing my best at the point in life that I'm at right now, I'm not afraid of pain, sweat or hard work.  I love the feeling of accomplishment after a long run or at the end of a race.  I need to focus more on allowing those attributes and strengths to now seep more deeply into the other parts of my life, with my husband and family.  After all, what's most important is that I want to be with them ~ happy, whole, peaceful ~ at the ultimate finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!