Looking for something? Try here...

Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekend report.

Well, after a long, eventful weekend, I'm back to my (somewhat) normal routine.  Thursday morning Chris and I went to the gym before we had to come home and pack up the car for our camping trip with the youth from our church.  First thing I did was get on a treadmill and crank out a little over a mile, then I did about 40 minutes of weights and finally I joined Chris for a spinning class.

The rest of Thursday was spent hiking in to our camping area, packing lots of things on our backs.  Then, once we were organized into our "families" for the weekend, we set up our tents and did the camp-thing.

On Friday, we started out early doing a day-long hike of about 8 miles.  We went up and down rocky hills, through knee-high grass, across a creek and high up into the mountains, while pushing a hand cart.

Saturday morning we packed up camp, then Chris, Noah (our oldest son) and I went home, showered, and got ready for the 4-5 hour drive to pick up our other three kids who were staying at my in-laws.  Before we left the house, I did manage to get in my "daily mile": while my husband was in the shower, I jumped on the treadmill and did 1.15 miles in about 11 minutes, keeping the running streak alive!

On Sunday we spent the day driving home.  Normally the drive would have taken us the 4-5 hours again, but we made a last minute decision to alter our route to try and see a friend on his quest to run across the state of Idaho.  I've written about Mike Evans on my blog before.  You can read about him and his run to raise money for our local cancer kids at: www.mikesextramile.blogspot.com and also at www.idahofighters.blogspot.com, where you can also make donations that will go directly to help the children and their families!  He was scheduled to be on the mountain highway running between Lowman and Stanley, Idaho.  Taking this route more or less doubled our time on the road yesterday, but it was worth it to get to enjoy the beautiful day, driving through the mountains and giving some support and encouragement to Mike.  When we caught up with him, he was just coming up to the summit between the two towns, which put him about 30 miles into his daily goal of 50 miles.  He was able to take a break for a few minutes and chat with us. 

 Here is Mike with his dad, who was his driving support with his RV for the 9 days he will be running.
Once we were finally back home, I was wiped out.  I had intended to get that one mile in last night on the treadmill, but by the time we unpacked the car and I got the kids settled and ready for bed, I had no energy left to do it.  I'm a little bummed I "broke" my streak, but this morning I was right back at it.  Despite the fact that I woke up still feeling exhausted and a little stiff-legged, I did 40 minutes of Pilates, then spent 60 minutes on the treadmill doing a bit of running, a bit of jogging and a bit more walking, for a total of 4 miles.  I hope I feel recovered by tomorrow, because I'll be hitting the gym bright and early regardless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!