Looking for something? Try here...

Thursday, September 6, 2012

What's the definition of a gym rat, anyway?

Is it someone who goes just a little crazy with too much time away from the gym?  'Cause if so, that's me.  It's weird.  Before we got our gym membership, a little over 6 months ago, I would never have imagined myself to be the type to enjoy going to the gym.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember telling my husband that while I could see myself making use of the treadmills, stationary bikes and elliptical machines - especially during the winter months when running on the roads is more difficult - I would probably never take any classes or use the weight room much.  I've just never been into that type of  socializing, preferring to do my workouts on my own.  Now I find myself planning my life around the class schedules, trying to fit as many spin classes into a week as I can.

The past two weeks have been tough for me, having to taper and then spend time recovering from the marathon.  While it was definitely well worth it for me to have the amazing race day that I did, I have to say that I was ever so excited to get back to the gym today for a couple of classes.  Before I even went to spinning, I spent about 15 or 20 minutes in the weight room working on triceps.  Then of course, spin class did not disappoint.  Best sweat I've achieved in quite some time.  Only to be topped later in the day while doing Muscle Fusion X.  I wore my heart rate monitor today to see what was going on during that class.  My average heart rate was 155 for the whole class, but it maxed out at 180 bpm several times.  That's pretty good.  Actually, while the cardiovascular part of the class was still hard, it didn't seem quite as hard as the first time I took the class.  Instead, my difficulty came when we were doing reps of something called "sumo squats":

Will ya look at that?  I found another example photo on Google where the girl looks exactly like me! ;)  Oh, except I actually had weights on the barbell - ha!

Anyway, whenever I tried to assume position "A", my hamstrings screamed bloody murder.  So to compensate, I just went as low as I could, until I couldn't stand the pulling anymore.  I probably looked more like a gorilla than miss fitness in the above photo.  To make me feel just a little more inadequate, that is the moment the instructor (my favorite girl, Misty) decided to pay particular attention to my form and tells me, "Get your hips down lower!"  Ugh.

Oh, well.  Pain means change, right?  This is turning out to be my year of change.  Now I'm pondering what goals I will set for the coming year.  Anyone have any exciting or lofty goals for 2013?  I need some ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say you definitely qualify as a gym rat! LOL I used to be one, too, but now w/ the kids it's too hard to be away that much so I just run. I do miss the classes and friendships I made @ the gym!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!