Looking for something? Try here...

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 94. (And a little background on my mission towards health and fitness.)

Today was an easy run day, in prep for tomorrow's long run.  I did 25 minutes of Pilates before heading out for my run: 2.5 miles.  When I got home, I also did workout 2 from the 30 Day Shred DVD.

I've had some people ask about my weight loss and history with running, etc., so I decided I would post a couple of pictures to show how far I've come.  As far as my history with regards to fitness and weight loss, it was never really something I focused on  much in my life until after I had my four children.  I was average size in high school, (I'm 5'3" and was around 120 all through HS), I was on the swim team for 3 years and led an active lifestyle, but I wouldn't say I was super athletic.  After getting married in 1999, and having my first three kids within 3 1/2 years, I was at my heaviest.  Going into my fourth pregnancy in 2005 I weighed around 160, and about a month after his birth, weighing around 175, I made the decision to lose the weight forever!  I knew I had to do something drastic and lasting.  I started in February of 2006 by going walking 6 days a week at the local park.  I only did 2 or 3 laps starting out (1.5 - 2 miles), but eventually over the course of a year or so, worked my way up to walking 3 - 5 miles 6 days a week.  I also did other things, like riding a stationary bike for 20-30 minutes a couple of days a week, and I started using a Pilates DVD (30 minutes) also a couple of days a week.  Once I was in the habit of exercising every day, I started focusing on my diet.  I used the menu plan from Dr. Phil's book "The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution Food Guide".  It has a great 14 day jump start program to boost metabolism and help you lose several pounds right away, which really helps with motivation.  It probably took me about 6 months of keeping a food journal and using the food guide and menus to be comfortable with going it alone and being confidant that my portions were adequate, and food choices appropriate.  In 9 months I had reached my goal weight of 125 pounds, but I continued with my exercise regimen and healthier lifestyle, and by 1 year after starting out I was down to 115 pounds.

Now fast forward to February 2010, when I was feeling a little stagnate in my workout routine, and I made the decision to train for a marathon.  I was one of those people who would always say: "I am NOT a runner."  But it has now been over 3 months since I started training, and I haven't missed a day on my training schedule.  I run 4 days a week, cross-train 4 - 5 days a week, and go walking alone or with my family whenever I can.  I have actually gained about 3-5 pounds since I started training, but I like to think that it's muscle weight gain! ;)  I guess my appetite has also increased with the running, and I'm now finding myself  walking that fine line between getting enough calories to fuel my runs, and eating more than I need.  Like most things in life, a never ending work in progress!

This photo was taken 2 months after baby #4 was born:       

This is me today, after my morning run:

Here are some more pictures for comparison:
Both of the next two photos are from 2003, when baby girl was almost 1...


This one is from 2008, two years after reaching my first goal weight...


And again, from where I am today, training for a marathon!  Who would have thought?  (So very sorry about the blinding whiteness of my skin in this picture...guess I need a spray tan! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that, I've never heard your "story" before. You look amazing and who cares if you are white, if I looked like that I might just walk around in that outfit all the time ;) And I love your pink shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...thanks Katee! By the way, I don't actually run in that outfit...way too immodest, even for me. ;) I just wanted an "after" pic that did my abs a little justice; anything resembling an even somewhat flat tummy after having kids is a feat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at those abs of steel woman! You are braver than me. I'm too scared to take my shirt off for pictures! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great!! I didn't know your story either - it is good to read! I too after having the babies and being done - realized how MUCH weight I had to lose! I have almost gotten to my goal weight (I have 4-6 pounds left - depending on the time of the day.) But now I need to put in the workouts - I have just been watching what I eat so far. I do have to say I am not sure where to begin!

    I am coaching a Girls On The Run team (Alexis is in it - they are girls from grade 3-5.) I thought I would do a lot more running - but I am not - and we have a 5K at the end of the month - so I have to get started!!

    Anyways - thanks for sharing!! It gives me an idea of where to start.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!