Looking for something? Try here...

Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 224.

Wow.  What a day it has been!  Yesterday afternoon the electrical in our home went haywire, light bulbs were popping, outlets were humming and smoking, we "lost" 2 TVs, a cordless phone and my Dustbuster to the strange surges. :(  I was very worried that we had lost the computer, as well, even though it was plugged in with a surge protector.  My husband is out of town for the entire week, so of course I was freaking out.  I had an electrician friend, neighbor and the Inkom fire chief over to figure out what the heck was going on and make sure there weren't any hot spots in our walls.  They didn't figure the problem out, in the meantime we had to have every single item in the house unplugged and all the lights turned off, or we risked more mini-explosions due to the surges.  All of this was happening on a day when I happened to have a migraine.  Needless to say, the kids and I did not get a very good night's sleep.  This morning I had a 4 mile run on my plate, and when I woke up with my head still pounding and major stress to boot, I was unsure about completing my run, to say the least.  I got the kids off to school, put Nicolas in his jogging stroller, and made a pit stop at the market for a Diet Coke before heading to the park.  As I started my run, my head was jolted with each step, but as I've learned in the past, running has a weird way of relieving stress and headaches, so I forged on.  Oddly enough, other than my head, I felt good on my run.  My legs felt nice and strong and the fresh air felt awesome.  I did the whole four miles then walked home, took a shower, gulped an Instant Breakfast, and by then my headache had thankfully subsided.  I then called the power company, which I should have apparently done in the first place yesterday, duh!  There were some huge branches that had fallen and broken something called a neutralizer on the exterior power lines to our home.  Basically with that broken, you get super high voltage in one set of outlets, while the others have super low, and every time something is turned on or off, the surges take place, smoking everything in their path.  Thankfully, the fix was simple and we're back up and running, with only the above mentioned casualties.  My kids will be very happy when I pick them up from school this afternoon.  Life happens, and I'm still running!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awfully hard. Good for you for keeping up with your running when everything seems a mess.


Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!