Looking for something? Try here...

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sidelined.

I am very sad to report that I was unable to go on my long run today.  Yesterday I was so excited and anxious, we even had a nice spaghetti dinner, and I got to bed at a decent hour.  Unfortunately, at around midnight, I was awakened by the sound of my 4 year old (who was asleep on the floor near the foot of our bed) whimpering endlessly and coughing...and I could tell what was coming.  Yep, he started to vomit, over and over and over.  Each time I would get him cleaned up and then settle back to sleep again, only to wake up a few minutes later to those preemptive sounds, hoping I could get him to the bathroom in time or at least catch it with a bowl.  One of those times, in my half asleep stupor, I jumped up hurriedly to get to him, and somehow smashed my left foot against the wall.  I knew immediately that it was not good; I heard cracking, and holy heck did it hurt!  No time to even assess the damage, though, I had to deal with my sick child.  Once he finally seemed to be at the tail end of the dry heaves, we both settled in to what only allowed us a couple more hours of sleep before I needed to get up with the other kids for school.  When the alarm went off at 6am, my oldest son came in to tell me that he had also been sick in the night.  So he stayed home from school today, and has been in and out of the bathroom for about 3 or 4 hours now, poor guy.

And as for my foot, I'm pretty sure my little toe is broken.  It's not pretty.  With the swelling, discoloration and pain, I knew my long run for today was out the window.  When I showed my husband and I told him I was glad I had enough leeway in my training to allow me to take a couple of days off for it to heal, he took one look at my toe and said: "Uh, a couple of days?  You may be looking at a couple of weeks."  I guess I'm obstinately optimistic, though.  There's no way in heck I can take that much time off.  I will find something else to do until I can run again.

1 comment:

  1. Broken bones in the foot suck. I still have issues- so I know you won't follow my advice- stay off of it. Learn from my mistake :) Heal soon!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!