Looking for something? Try here...

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

7 miles.

Well, the temperatures have warmed up a bit, but the roads are still super icy, so I opted once again for a treadmill workout.  I did a little over 7 miles in total, and I used some of my time to do speed intervals, pushing the speed up and down between 5.0mph and 6.0 mph for about 2 minutes at a time for 6 or 7 repetitions.  Geesh, that is a good workout!  I don't know why, but when I run at 6.0 mph on the treadmill, it feels like I'm sprinting.  I think it has something to do with the fact that my legs are short anyway, and when I'm on the treadmill I tend to shorten my stride a lot from how I run on the road.  I also think that may be contributing to my hamstring issues lately.  I'm really hoping that using the treadmill in this way will help me when I'm able to get back out on the road.  The last time I did 6 miles outside, I averaged 10 minute miles for the whole run, which is fast for me - a huge improvement - and I attribute it to my speed intervals on the treadmill.  It doesn't feel like I'm going as fast when I'm running outside, because there is such a variance in pace as you run up and down hills, etc.  Anyway, I'm being realistic in realizing that spring-like weather is a long way off, and I might as well use the treadmill to train to the best of my ability, even though it's so not the same as running outside!
After I finished my run, I did 10 minutes of Yoga for stretching and relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!