Looking for something? Try here...

Saturday, February 12, 2011

4 miles and some other stuff.

Yesterday was a rest day, and all I did workout-wise was about 15 minutes of Yoga in the morning.  My recovery from Thursday's long run has actually gone pretty well.  I have had some muscles soreness in my upper back and of course, my legs, but not too bad.  And the best thing is that my hip hasn't been bothering me as much as I had expected it to be after the 18 miles.

I had a short run scheduled for today, and had planned to do it this afternoon when I would have come home from my son's basketball game.  Unfortunately for him, he woke up sick this morning with a bad stomach ache, so we had to pass on his game.  So, I left him lying on the couch watching TV while I headed out for an early morning run.  I only ended up doing a little over 4 miles, but it was a good "recovery" run.

I did an out and back run, and while I was on my way "out", I passed these two guys running in the opposite direction.  They were obviously runners, I could tell by their outfits and gear and the way they ran.  We exchanged 'hellos' and continued on with our runs, but it seemed like they wanted to say something to me and didn't, which was fine because with my headphones on and music blaring, I wouldn't have heard them anyway.  After I had turned around to head back home a bit later, I saw them coming towards me again.  This time they did talk to me, so I had to pull out my earphones to hear them.  They asked me how long my run was.  After I told them, I felt I needed to justify the shortness of my run by telling them I had run 18 miles on Thursday and that today's was just a recovery run, and they gave me thumbs up and a couple of "good jobs!" and we all continued on our way.  Our brief interaction got me thinking, though.  When I'm out running and see someone else running too, particularly someone who has the look of just being out for a recreational "jog", it would never occur to me to ask them how long their run is.  It's not that I'm one of those runner-snobs that I always complain to my husband about, because believe me, I'm not at all.  My theory is, if you're out there doing it, you're out there doing it.  Who cares what you wear, or what gear you have or how fast or slow you are, it's all good!  But the fact that these two guys saw me and apparently to them, I looked the part of a "serious" runner, for them to care enough how long my run was.  At any rate, it gave me a bit of a confidence boost...so "Thank You!", random runner-guys, for your fellow road warrior camaraderie!

When I got home, the kids were all being a bit lethargic and resting on the couch (I think they all have some sort of flu bug), so I did 30 minutes on the elliptical after my run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!