Looking for something? Try here...

Thursday, June 9, 2011

3 mile tempo run.

Well I guess I stupidly assumed that after my "spring" marathon, I would come home and start my "summer" training season, leaving the dreadmill behind, at least for a few months...

This morning when I woke up and heard the rain pounding on the roof, I actually considered for a moment going out to do my 3 mile run...what's a little rain, right?  Then I got realistic when I went out on the porch and saw the down pour and headed for the treadmill.  My schedule had me doing a 3 mile tempo run, so in a way I suppose it should have been an easy thing to do - just set the treadmill for my desired pace and run for 3 miles - simple.  Sort of.  I honestly have not honed the treadmill vs. road running pace thing.  I know I can run 3 miles on the road in under 30 minutes, and my goal had I been running outside today was to run it in under 28 minutes, which I know I could have done, possibly even faster.  The problem with running on the treadmill is that I feel like I have to work so much harder, that the faster I go, the more out of control of my body I feel.  I did my 3 mile tempo run at a 5.5 mph pace, and at the end I was literally dripping with sweat and felt like I was going to vomit.  I did a little walking at the end as a cool down, so I spent a total of 3.6 miles and 48 minutes on the treadmill.  After my run, I did 30 minutes of Pilates floor work.  Now I don't run again until my scheduled 10 miler on Saturday, and I'm telling you it had better be warm and sunny or I am seriously going to start researching jobs and real estate in southern California!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!