Looking for something? Try here...

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

5 mile tempo run.

This morning I surprised myself by waking up at around 5:30am, after staying up way too late last night.  My husband and I were organizing and packing groceries and other items into our camper in preparation for our upcoming trip, then we went to bed around 11pm, but stayed up for another hour watching a show.  At any rate, I was up, so I decided to go ahead and go on my run.  I didn't do much of a warm up, I just did a few stretches then went out and started walking for a few minutes before starting my run.  Since this was supposed to be a tempo run (as described in the book, the first mile to be done at a moderately easy pace as part of the warm up, then the middle 3 miles at a set pace, slightly slower than 10K pace, then ease up on the last mile), I set my Garmin to alert me if I slowed below 11:00min/mile.  For the first mile I definitely felt "off", a little sluggish, and of course my Garmin was beeping at me so I knew I was already a little slow.  Once I got past the first couple of hills on my run, and I felt warmed up, I just focused on staying steady and I thankfully didn't hear any beeping from my Garmin so I knew I was near my pace.  My foot was really hurting and I'm coming to the realization that I'm probably going to need to get it x-rayed, but it will wait until after we get back from our trip.  I'm hoping that if I take a little "break" while we're on our vacation it will have a chance to heal from whatever the problem is.  Anyway, back to my run...I kept that steady pace until I had gone the whole 5 miles, then I walked the rest of the way home.  When I downloaded my Garmin info I was very surprised and pleased to see that it only took me 51 minutes to do 5 miles and my average pace was 10:19min./mile.  That's really good for me, and definitely faster than I thought I was going.  Maybe the speed work is starting to pay off a little bit.  ;)  After my run I also did JM's 30 minute Yoga Meltdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!