Looking for something? Try here...

Friday, July 27, 2012

That's life.

This has been kind of a weird week.  It started off pretty good, with that awesome 12 miler I ran with Chris and my friend Holly.  But things have kind of gone downhill from there.  Not just with my running and workouts, but just life in general.  A week of disappointments, some minor, some a little more than that.

Yesterday was one of the lowest points this week.  I did make it to the gym in the morning with Chris and we spent 45 minutes in the weight room before going to spin class.  We had a substitute, an instructor who doesn't normally teach spin, and it showed.  The class was pretty blah, but I was still able to get in a good burn.  I just didn't come away from the class feeling uplifted or motivated like I usually do.  Then the rest of the day just went more sour, as other "life" stuff crumbled around us a bit.

Anyway, despite how crummy I felt going to bed last night, I was determined to wake up this morning and make the most of today.  I wasn't scheduled to run, but I decided that a good run was just what I needed to make me feel better.  I felt good waking up, no soreness or aches in my body.  So I put on my running gear and headed out, planning on doing the 9 mile loop.  As soon as I started to run, I could feel a tug in my left hamstring.  It just kept pulling tighter and tighter.  I have learned to just run through the pain, but it really is getting old.  I would love to figure out what to do about it.  Okay, so I just figured I'd go slowly - a mile is a mile, no matter how long it takes to cover, so I just wanted to keep my feet moving.  At around 3 or 4 miles, I started having really bad stomach cramps.  I tried to run through them, but I couldn't and had to take a couple of walking breaks.  Then the cramps worsened and I knew I needed to get to a bathroom.  Of course, this was the one day I chose to run (almost) "naked", leaving my phone, tissues, etc. at home instead of carrying them in my belt.  I just wanted to run unencumbered, instead I was caught unprepared and in dire straights.

I decided at that point to turn around and head back home instead of following the loop around.  That would save me a couple of miles and a little bit of time.  With still over 3 miles until I reached home, I got desperate.  And now for a little TMI:  I have only ducked off the side of the road once - ever - and that was on a long run and I was very far from any bathrooms and really had no choice.  Now I was in a predicament that I didn't want to be in.  I found some big rocks in an area away from the road and any houses.  I had to climb through thorn-ridden, hip high weeds and shrubs to get to a private, hidden spot.  Once I had "relieved" myself, I felt a little bit better.  I was able to climb back to the road and after a couple minutes of walking to regain my senses, I started to run again, the skin on my legs and ankles now burning with scratches from the thorns and thistles. :(  Apparently Heavenly Father felt I was in need of a lesson in humility.

I ran the rest of the way home and actually felt a lot stronger than I did on the first half of the run.  Still, not ideal.  By the time I got home I had gone a hair over 7 miles.  I have yet to have that wonderful, warm-fuzzy feeling of accomplishment from any of my workouts this week, at least since that 12 miler on Monday.  This afternoon my husband has said he'd like to go with me to a spinning class.  It is supposed to be taught by our favorite instructor, and if she is there today, this could be my chance to redeem things and bring my spirits back up to where they should be.  If not, well then who knows.  There's always tomorrow, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!