Looking for something? Try here...

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday Spotlight: Meet Lindsay!


My name is Lindsay. Growing up, I was naturally thin and naturally un-athletic, so sports, exercising and physical activity were not really parts of my life. I could get away with eating pretty much whatever I wanted and I still looked good. Fast forward a few years to age 27 when 2 years after I had my first son, I gave birth to identical twins. I suddenly found myself very overweight and trying to mother three children under the age of 2. Three children in diapers. Three children that had to be buckled in and out of carseats, that had to be fed and bathed and taken care of in every way. It was exhausting--physically and emotionally. And carrying a bunch of extra weight did not help the situation. I was depressed.

I slowly started to try to change the situation. A healthy diet had always been very important to me, so that didn't need much changing, but trying to make working out a priority with three young children was a challenge. I bought a triple jogger and started walking. My next step was going to the gym and lifting weights. Soon I hired a personal trainer and that is when I really noticed serious results. By the time my twins were 3, I wore a smaller size than I had in high school!

And then I got pregnant.

Since having my fourth the weight has been more difficult to get off, although I am even more active than I have ever been in my life. I have tried to be content with where I am at and focus instead on the fact that I am healthy and active and my metabolism has slowed due to age. In the last year I have tried to challenge myself even more by attempting different races. Some friends introduced me to the idea of triathlons last year and this year I made it my New Year's resolution to do two triathlons. Just last Saturday I finished my first--an Olympic distance triathlon! I was slow, but I did it! Eight years ago, when my girls were born, if someone had told me that I would do a full triathlon at the age of 36, I would have laughed them out of the room. And yet I did it!

The funny thing is, when I was done, I still didn't feel like it was enough. I immediately thought, "Maybe I should try for a half iron-man next year." I don't know exactly what it is I am searching for--but I still haven't found it. I want to prove to myself that I can do hard things. I want to set that example for my kids as well. I will keep working toward that sense of satisfaction. I have another tri in mid September that I am currently training for. So, as I continue to do things that do not come easily or naturally to me, I will continue to attempt to show myself that I am more than I think I am, and show my kids that you can truly do most anything you put your mind to!!

Really, me?? A TRIATHLETE?! I'm a real-life miracle!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!