Looking for something? Try here...

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Time to check in.

Hey, guys.  I just thought it was time for me to give an update as to how things have been going so far this week.  I have mostly been doing well as far as keeping my high-intensity workouts to a minimum.  Yesterday morning when I woke up I did 30 minutes of Pilates before getting the kids ready and off to school.  Once they were gone, I went to the park and walked for a little over 4 miles.

Later in the day we received a call from the elementary school that our daughter (9 years old) had taken a bad fall while running out at recess and that her arm looked "distorted".  Yes, that's actually the word the teacher used.  Chris and I took her to the doctor where an x-ray confirmed a break in the radius bone.  It was too swollen for a cast, so they will see her again on Friday to put the cast on.  In the meantime, she has a splint and a couple of pretty cut up knees. :*(

She looks way too smiley in this picture for a girl with a broken arm, but that's totally Sophie.

Once we had her home, settled and resting, I left Chris with the kids and a couple of homemade pizzas while I went to the gym for an evening spin class.  Before going to the class, I had it in my mind that I would go to 3 spin classes this week: Monday evening, Tuesday morning and Thursday morning.  After last night's class, I have changed my mind.  I felt pretty wiped out, and I realized that if I want to do well on Saturday, I need to be smart about this.  I don't think it would serve me well to use up as much of my energy stores as is necessary for spinning.  Spinning is off the table for the rest of the week.  I'm also not going to do any additional weight training this week.  I read somewhere that the amino acids and glycogen stores in muscle tissue that are depleted when you do an especially hard workout take 4-5 days to replenish.

So this morning while my husband attended a spinning class, I hopped on a treadmill at the gym and walked at a nice 3.0mph pace while reading "Running the Edge".  I got in a little over an hour of walking.  Tomorrow my plan is to do some Yoga or Pilates and also do some more walking outside.  I knew this week was going to be tough for me, especially mentally.  I have a hard time taking things easy.  But since I am doing this with hopes that it will all be worth it come Saturday when I feel great on my run, I think I can get through a week of laid-back workouts.  But next week, watch out! ;)

As far as my nutrition goes, with only a couple of exceptions, I've been keeping things "clean"!  My friend Holly brought over some cookies and muffins for Sophie yesterday and I splurged on a cranberry orange muffin, which although she said were "fat free", I'm sure they contained some sugar.  I've also been steering clear of carbonated drinks and instead drinking tons of water.  Just got stocked up on some more fresh produce today and the fridge is now full of fresh carrot, spinach and pear juice, and little containers with lots of wise and easy choices: steel cut oats, already cooked and ready to be warmed up and topped with honey, berries and nuts, cut up veggies, homemade potato soup with red and sweet potatoes, kale, broccoli, onions, carrots and garlic, and of course my sweet, little peanut butter and oat energy balls.  Now if only I could get my kids to eat all of that stuff, too.   (Not much trouble getting them to eat the peanut butter balls, but the soup with broccoli and kale, eh...not so much.)  Tonight my husband rolled his eyes at me as he watched me cook myself some white fish to go with my potato soup, as opposed to the turkey burgers and fresh corn I made for the rest of the family. :)

And hey, don't forget to enter my giveaway, if you haven't already!  I can't wait to see who wins this awesome book on Thursday!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are being smart. That spinning class Monday was hard so it is understandable you were wiped out. I was too. Good luck on Saturday and I'll miss you in spinning while we do those ever so horrible gliders. Go Priscilla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JaNiece! And try to remember NOT to complain about the gliders! ;)

      Delete
  2. Poor Sophie! It's never fun to get a call from the school...I think you are wise to take it easy this week, no matter how hard that is for you! You will be glad you did on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, poor Sophie! Glad she has such a great attitude about it. Now hmm....where does she get that? :) Glad you are forcing yourself to take it easy a bit. CAN'T WAIT to hear all about the marathon! Wish I could go cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!