Looking for something? Try here...

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

And that is why I'm the train-EE and not the train-ER.

Today was shoulders/abs day.  I didn't get to the gym until about 9am and it was already very busy.  After a 5 minute running warm up on a treadmill, I made my way to the weight room.  This routine takes me about an hour and 15 minutes to complete.  When I finished, I went back upstairs to find an open treadmill to get started on my interval run.  There was only 1 open treadmill and it's one that has some technical issues.  The belt isn't very smooth and I don't really like running on it, but I didn't have much choice.  Besides, let's face it: running on the treadmill isn't first choice anyway.

As I started the treadmill and began a slow jogging warm-up, I was exchanging a few texts with my trainer, Misty.  I had complained to her that my legs were sore and tired from my leg workout yesterday and that I was having a hard time getting going on the interval run.  My mind was full of annoyingly negative self-talk about how hard it was to run with such pain in my legs.  Here's what Misty wrote to me:

Just get it done!  You will feel better after.  Just ignore yourself!

Well, of course.  Sometimes it really is that simple.  You just have to get out of your own head, ignore the pain, ignore the thoughts telling you to slow down, stop or quit.  And that's what I did.  Granted, it wasn't the best interval run ever, but at least I did it.  My sprints were a little slower than I like to do, but I did them and even threw in a few extra intervals to make up for it.  I spent a total of 1 hour on the treadmill and made it a little over 5 miles, which includes some walking breaks, slower running and then 1 minute sprints.


Now tomorrow I will probably be repeating Misty's words to myself as I do my back/bicep workout, since it includes pull-ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!