Looking for something? Try here...

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day six.

Week one down, many, many to go...and that's a good thing! This morning I did 40 minutes of Pilates, and 40 minutes of moderately paced walking on the treadmill. After this morning's workout, I'm reassured that I've planned my training schedule well to have my long runs during the week, when the kids are at school, and my cross-training and rest days on the weekends. I was interrupted about a gazillion times by them for just about any reason they could come up with, but somehow I got the workout done...before noon! When school gets out at the end of May, I'm probably going to have to rearrange my training days somewhat so that I can always do my long runs outside and on days when Chris is home to be with the kids. One thing I am really looking forward to the summer for, though, is that when we go camping it will be a lot of fun to run in new places, and on different terrain. It will be a great opportunity for me to test my endurance under varying conditions.

My kids and husband are actually being super supportive, though, and it's so awesome! Last week I put a copy of my training schedule on the refrigerator, and when the kids saw it, they were asking all kinds of questions. Then Sophie went to school the next day and told everyone that her mom is training for a marathon! (I guess that helps keep me motivated, too!) Yesterday after we all came back from Scouts, I found Sam and Noah at the kitchen table making their own "training schedules". I guess they want to be in on the action. They said their goal is to be able to do the 5 mile hike at Upper Coffee Pot Falls (in Island Park where we're going camping at the end of May) without getting tired. Last summer we did that hike as a family and they complained the whole time, but were pretty proud of themselves for doing it, after the fact.
Chris has also been a great partner to have, in all aspects of our lives. Right now he is also working very hard to shed some pounds, after having been in school and working full-time for the past 3-4 years, he decided after he graduated that he'd spend some time on himself. I'm so proud of what he's accomplished already. Now that I've set my mind to do a marathon, he's been extremely supportive, helping me with any tips and ideas (from his background in sports from earlier in his life), and it's so fun to talk about fitness and training together, and both be interested in the discussion. He reminds me if I'm not eating enough, and encourages me to go to bed earlier, and is going to get me some mace for when I start doing my long runs outside since we do have mountain lions around here. I am now on a quest to find a reasonably priced jogging stroller so that as soon as the weather warms up, he and I can enjoy running together, with Nicolas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!