Looking for something? Try here...

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 130.

This is proving to be, by far, the biggest mental challenge I have taken on in my life.  Today was a 7.5 mile run.  I warmed up with 10 minutes of Pilates, then headed out for my run before the sun had even risen over the mountains.  I was feeling sluggish right from the get go.  I woke up with an annoyingly painful kink in my neck and shoulder, and my legs were feeling especially heavy.  The first 3 miles pretty much sucked, and I had to keep constantly aware of my self-talk.  The thoughts in my head went from 'My legs are so tired, maybe I should walk,' to 'If you walk, you are quitting,' to 'This sucks, why am I doing this to myself?' to 'You will be glad you did it when you are done...JUST DO IT!'  When I first started training for a marathon, I printed out a mantra on a piece of paper that I taped to the treadmill where I could read it every time I ran.  It says: "I am fit, I am strong, I will not stop, I am a runner."  Today was one of the first times I've had to repeat that mantra to myself over and over again.  This was the first time I felt ready for my long run to come to end.  But, I did it, I ran the whole 7.5 miles, and I'm glad I did.  When I got home I did 30 minutes of the Yoga Meltdown to help stretch out my tired muscles.  Tonight we have relatives staying with us and we're going to go to the hot springs in Lava, and I'm hoping the therapeutic waters help my body recover.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Glad you were able to talk yourself into finishing it!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!