Looking for something? Try here...

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 169.

6 miles today.  Well, after doing a little research, I think I've figured out what the problem is with my leg.  Based on the symptoms I've been having, I think the issue is with my IT band.  I spent the day yesterday icing both my hip and knee areas, and taking Motrin every few hours.  I also read about a special knee brace that is supposed to not only help alleviate the pain, but aid in healing because it's made of compression material, which increases blood flow to the affected area and speeds healing.  I went to a pharmacy, and found this:

I wore it all day, only taking it off when I was icing.  It's amazing!! There is a strip of some kind of piping stuff that runs through the upper and lower straps, and as you have it strapped around the upper and lower part of your knee, it puts pressure on the IT band where it connects to the knee.  It completely takes the pain away from my hip.  It's the weirdest thing, but I'm not complaining.  I went for my run this morning (wearing the brace) and was able to do the whole 6 miles, keeping a pace of just under 11 minute miles, and I felt like a new woman!  I'm going to continue with the Motrin and ice today, and I still may skip my 3 miler tomorrow  and do some cross-training instead, to get rested and prepped for my 12 miler on Thursday.  After my run this morning I also did level 1 of Yoga Meltdown.

2 comments:

  1. I found an artile that might help you eleviate the problem.

    http://www.active.com/women/Articles/Cross-Training__Hip_Helpers.htm?cmp=17-4643

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks Angie! That's awesome, and hopefully those exercises will help, too.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!