Looking for something? Try here...

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 197.

This morning I did a 3 mile run.  I warmed up with 15 minutes of Pilates, then after dropping the kids off at the school, I walked to the park, ran 3.3 miles, actually, then walked home.  Then I did level 1 of Yoga Meltdown.

I remember back to when I first decided to train for a marathon.  That week I had been sick with a pretty nasty head cold, and I remember pushing through those first few days of running while barely being able to breathe.  I have read that runners, particularly distance runners, are more susceptible to getting sick because of the strain our bodies are put through, immunity is lowered.  I've been taking a multi-vitamin everyday, and so far, in 7 months of training, I haven't gotten sick at all.  Wouldn't you know it, the week I have my first race, I start to get sick!  Last Thursday, after the first week of school, my daughter came down with a fever, stuffy nose, sore throat, cough, etc.  As I took care of her all weekend, I tried to be careful about germ spread, washing, disinfecting, all that stuff, but obviously, as a mom, if your kids get sick, it's pretty likely your going to get it too.  I started getting a sore throat yesterday, and this morning when I woke up, I could feel that icky, start of a cold feeling in my head.  I took an Emergen-C Health Boost drink (vitamin C, zinc), and went ahead with my run.  I always feel better after a run, and the same was true this morning.  I'm just hoping that I don't get too sick, or that at least it's short lived and I can feel good for Saturday's race.  One way or another I'm running 13.1 miles on Saturday morning, it would just be nice not to have to do it carrying a box of Kleenex! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hard part about kids in school. Brock's home-schooled, but all the nursery kids who go to pre-k are sick. It stinks. I wish you well. It's been rough over here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't believe you haven't gotten sick in 7 months. I feel like I am always coming down with something.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!