Looking for something? Try here...

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 199.

This morning I did an easy two mile run.  I warmed up with 10 minutes of Pilates.  After my run, I still felt like I needed to do something more, but I didn't want to do anything too high impact, with race day only a day away.  I decided to do my favorite belly dancing DVD.  It's a 45 minute workout, and a very good cardiovascular workout at that.  I'm just glad there is no one watching me when I do that particular DVD; let's just say I couldn't be less "middle-eastern" or exotic!  I probably look ridiculous, but it's fun and I work up a sweat, so that's what counts, right?!

I had a comment from one of my readers asking me what running has done for me.  I was actually just thinking about that very thing while on my run this morning.  As I'm preparing for the 1/2 marathon on Saturday, I'm amazed at what I've been able to accomplish in the past 7 months.  I've basically gone from a non-runner, to running 4-5 days a week and being able to do long runs of up to 13.1 miles.  Running is something I look forward to, and I miss it on the days I don't do it.  It's relaxing and stress-relieving for me.  I've also gained confidence in my ability, not just physically, but in my strength and determination to achieve my goals.  It's fun, it's a challenge and that's why I enjoy it and have been able to keep it up.  And to anyone out there who has considered taking up running, but hasn't because of fears like looking awkward, being slow, feeling uncoordinated, or any other reasons you may have - just give it a try!  I felt all of those things for a long time, but eventually your body learns the motions, and once you start to enjoy running, you will care less about what others might think of you.  Once it becomes a habit, a routine, it becomes a part of who you are.  My sister-in-law asked me recently what am I planning on doing after the marathon in November is finished, and without hesitation I said I would keep running and train for another race next year.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your 1/2 great practice for the big one on my birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!