Looking for something? Try here...

Friday, December 24, 2010

Almost a 12-miler.

I set out this morning with the intent of doing a 13 mile long run.  Things started out pretty good.  I ran the first 6 miles, taking a walking break at around mile 4 so I could remove my jacket and tie it around my waist.  The weather was cool and foggy, but not too bad at that point.  When I reached mile 6, I had to stop at railroad tracks and wait while a train passed.  I used the opportunity to stretch for a minute.  After the train was gone and I was clear to cross, my run came to the loop around point, and also the dreaded "wind tunnel" that I have referred to in previous posts.  The wind was blowing so hard and cold against me, I decided to walk a little until I got through the worst of it.  When I reached the top of a hill, I started to run again.  I ran for another 2 miles, then took another 1 minute walking break.  At this point I was starting to realize I needed to go to the bathroom, but I still had almost 5 miles to go before I reached home.  I did a walk/run thing for the next few miles, and I actually made pretty good time on my walking, too.  I felt better when I was walking, if I ran I felt like I wasn't going to make it home.  I considered calling my husband to come get me, but he is on night shift right now I didn't really want to wake him, if I thought I could make it the rest of the way.  Once I made it to mile 11, I figured I was good, I would just walk the rest of the way.  But just as I was reaching the center of town (11.87 miles into my run), I saw my husband driving up the road to check on me.  Obviously with all the walking it was taking me a little longer than he had expected, so he was starting to get worried.  I just went ahead and got a ride home.  I figure, it's Christmas eve, and I can always jump on the treadmill later if I feel the need to finish up the 13 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!