Looking for something? Try here...

Thursday, January 13, 2011

12 long miles.

Normally I would do my long run on Saturday, but when I learned that my boys have their basketball games starting early on Saturday, I had to switch up my schedule a little bit.  So that meant today I needed to do my long run of 12 miles.  Starting out I was optimistic; the thermometer read 28 degrees - what the...?  Awesome, I thought, until I got to the windy area again.  I chugged through the first 7 miles without too much trouble, other than my hip is really hurting me.  But then I came to a point in my route where the road is not maintained well and for about 4 miles I was slipping and sliding and trying my best to run in about 4 inches of slushy snow.  I mean, there was no where for me to go to even find a little gravel or a couple of inches of pavement for me to run on.  At one point a huge snow plow was coming my direction and I thought I was for sure going to take a hit or have to dive into the snowbank to the left of me.  Luckily, the driver saw me in time and with no cars coming the other way he was able to move over for me....I gave him a big wave.

Anyway, I made it the whole 12 miles, but my hip is throbbing right now.  I am so glad today is a rest day, and then one more short run this week before I get to enjoy a recovery week.  Yep, my schedule for next week includes just three 4 mile runs and a 6 miler.  I hope it helps.

2 comments:

  1. I can commiserate. Running in the snow has proven quite a challenge for me. Maybe it is like running on the beach--burns more calories? I'm hopeful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly how I described it to Chris when I got home: like running in the sand. I was feeling weird muscles being used in my thighs. I have a feeling it's not going to feel too good tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!