Looking for something? Try here...

Monday, January 31, 2011

6 mile run ~ in the snow, thanks to YakTrax!


Apparently Mother Nature knew what I needed to do this morning, because after a week of mostly dry weather, we had a storm last night that brought about conditions ideal for me to do my 6 mile run this morning and try out the YakTrax and Little Hotties hand warmers I was given to review!  Normally, if I'd woken up and seen the roads looking like this, I would have headed right for the treadmill, but today I got to run in it!


I don't know how I haven't gotten my hands (or feet into) some of these sooner!  I used the YakTrax Pro, heavy duty traction devices for running on packed snow and ice.  Basically, the rubber part stretches over your running shoes, with a secure fit and a velcro strap that goes across the top of the foot, these things didn't budge!  The metal coils on the bottom criss-cross and (at least on my shoes) fit slightly into the traction grooves on the the soles of the shoes.  I ran 6 miles, and didn't even feel them on me.  I was easily able to run without the worry of slipping, and without any discomfort or pinching.  They were easy to put on, and they actually do work like they say they do: they gave me a great amount of traction in the snow and ice, and with the road conditions as slick as they were, I was seriously impressed with how well they work!

 I would definitely have to give YakTrax a thumbs-up!  I can't even tell you how happy I am to know that I can go running, no matter what the weather, and not sacrifice my training or running gait, etc. or have to worry about slipping and getting injured.  Now I want to get a pair for my husband...hmmm...Valentine's Day is coming up!

Since it was also very cold this morning, I decided to give my Little Hotties hand warmers a try as well.
I am one of those people who always has cold hands, even after running several miles.  I was concerned that these would get too hot, especially once I got into my run, but they were actually great!  They fit right into the palm of the hand and you can tuck them into a pocket, pouch or into your gloves, which is what I did.  I will definitely be using these when I go on my long runs on cold, windy days.  For some reason, just having warmth in your hands makes your whole body feel warmer.

Anyway, these are a couple of things to make life better for those of us living in cold climates who don't want to sacrifice outdoor runs in the winter!  Happy running!

4 comments:

  1. those look pretty cool ... but I am too big of wimp to run out in the snow - i like the treadmill at Gold's Gym :) -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, this was very helpfull, I was afraid I wouldn't get to run in the winter due to ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do the yaktrax work on pavement? Our roads vary from icy, to snow to dry all on the same day, do the effect your run on dry pavement? I would love to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yaktrax work best on snow and ice because you get a bit of a "cushion" under your feet. I have the same issue, sometimes having to run on pavement while on a wintry run, and it is still possible to do it, it just isn't as comfortable. I usually try to move to the shoulder when I hit the dry spots because gravel/dirt are easier to run on vs. the pavement.

      Delete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!