Looking for something? Try here...

Saturday, January 22, 2011

A little of this and that.

Saturdays are busy for us.  I think it's going to become something a bit regular for me to need to put my long run on a different day of the week.  My schedule had me doing a 6 miler today, but I'm trying to "rest" my hip/leg that is bothering me, so I did something a little easier, and I had to fit it into my busy morning before taking the family to the boys' basketball games.  I got up a bit early, and started out with 45 minutes of walking on the treadmill.  Then I did 45 minutes on the elliptical.  When I do the elliptical, my leg doesn't bother me, so it's a good thing for me to do.  This afternoon when we came back from basketball I was feeling a little restless, so I jumped on the treadmill and did 20 minutes of jogging, then 20 minutes again on the elliptical.

Starting next week I will be starting to make some decent mileage increases, so the past few days I've been mentally preparing myself to feel motivated to get outside for all of my runs.  It's going to be important for me psychologically to do all of my runs according to my schedule from here on out if I'm going to feel prepared for the marathon in May.  I've kind of got this Catch 22 thing going on: I've been feeling a little blah lately, with the cold, gloomy weather and the problems I'm having with pain in my hip, etc., which has kept me from consistently running outside, but the dumb thing is that I know I would feel better if I could just get out there and do it.  For some reason, no matter how long or hard I work out indoors, be it using the treadmill, the elliptical or doing Yoga or Pilates, I don't have the same sense of accomplishment when I'm finished as I do when I come home after a good run on the road.  I need some new motivation.  I think tonight or tomorrow I will spend some time finding some new music for my mp3 player, and looking online for some (very) cheap new running clothes.  That should help.

1 comment:

  1. I love online "window" shopping. But I find a lot of good deals on new clothes (but from past seasons) on ebay. It has helped motivate me. The weather has been freezing and icy out here, so I understand what you mean. I don't risk it with my ankle, so I'm hoping the ice clears up soon. Have fun with the music! I was thinking the same thing today.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!