Looking for something? Try here...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The road to where is paved with good intentions?

Today is the first day of my new schedule, that is, the first day I'm having to work around my husband's work schedule since he's switched to day shift.  I woke with the best of intentions in my heart.  My training schedule had me doing a 7 mile run today, and even though my leg is still hurting me a little, I had decided before even going to bed last night that I was going to try to run.  I took the kids to school, then drove by the park on my way home to make sure the path around the park was cleared off and that I could push the jogger without problems.  From where I was, all I could see was asphalt, so I figured it'd be fine.  I went back home, bundled Nick up in warm clothes and a couple of blankets, got all my gear on and headed out.  I walked to the park as a warm-up, then as soon as I got there I started my run.  My leg was feeling a pinch (I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a sciatic nerve issue, because it starts up at the backside of my hip and runs down the back of my leg), but I kept running anyway and had hopes that as I warmed up, it was loosen and feel better.  At the point that the path makes a turn to go along the far side of the park, I was (not so) happy to see that the path was completely covered with a layer of iced over snow.  Even worse, it looked like lots of people had walked on the path when the snow was melting, and now being frozen it made a bumpy, treacherous surface for me to try and push the jogging stroller on.  I was very disappointed, but I knew I couldn't run the 12 or 13 laps it would've taken me to get my 7 miles in with half of each lap on that ice.  I finished one lap and came back home, which basically got me one mile in.  Then I jumped on the treadmill and did 45 minutes, followed by another 30 minutes on the elliptical.  The really frustrating part is that the actual roads are clear, which means that if my husband had been home to watch Nicolas, I could have just done my 7 miles on the road.  Oh, well.  Right now I'm needing to nurse my pain, anyway.  I think I might do some Yoga now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!