Looking for something? Try here...

Monday, May 30, 2011

New schedule!

I've decided on a training method and schedule for my next marathon.  Back when I first started running last year, a friend of mine loaned me a book called "Run Less, Run Faster".  I read it then, but I was already into a training plan and decided not to do the one profiled in the book.  I've decided to try it this time around.  I've ordered my own copy of the book and should be getting it in the mail this week, but I was able to get the actual training schedule online.  The meat of this particular method is this: only three runs a week - a speed work run, a tempo run and a long run, then two strong cross-training sessions of 45-60 min. per week.  The theory is that with only three runs and a day of non-running in between each, your body will be rested enough for you to push harder on those three running days.  The speed work runs are between 2.5 and 4.5 miles worth of 400, 800, 1200 and 1600 meter repeats, the tempo runs range from 3-10 miles each to be run at 15-30 sec/mile slower than your 10K pace, and the long runs go from 10 - 20 miles to be run at 60 to 75 seconds slower than your 10K pace.  There are two 20 mile long runs on the schedule, but on my schedule I made the second one a 22 miler.

This program is a 16 week training schedule, but since I only have 14 weeks until my next marathon, I am just going to start on week 3 - TODAY!  So, this morning was slotted as a cross-training day and I started out by doing level 1 of 30 Day Shred, followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical and another 15 minutes of speed walking on the treadmill.  I also plan to do some Yoga or Pilates at some point today, but with the kids out of school now I have to rearrange my workout schedule a little bit.

Tomorrow I will do my first speed workout.  I am feeling good, no pain, strong...let's just hope and pray my body continues on this path and that there is no recurrence of my previous problems.  I'm also hoping that at some point soon, Mother Nature will actually figure out that it's supposed to be summer now!  We've had snow, rain, wind, cold temperatures for what feels like months now.  I am SO ready for some consistently sunny and warm days.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking at buying that book the other night. It will be interesting to see what your review on it is.

    I'm trying really hard not to be jealous that you're already training for another run. I feel like I keep digressing in my healing.

    LOVE your new blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got it all set!!! Keep up the hard work!!! You've inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!