Looking for something? Try here...

Friday, July 29, 2011

Rest and cross.

I'm starting to feel a little bit stressed about my long run tomorrow.  I guess it's probably a good thing that my friend called yesterday and asked me to join her and some other friends on their 20 miler in the morning, because I think I'm going to need that extra push that being with other runners will offer.  Both of my knees have been hurting a little bit off and on and my legs are just feeling sore in general.  Last night my husband and I watched a movie called "Running the Sahara", a documentary about three guys who decided on a whim to do an "expedition", running their way across the entire Sahara desert - 111 days of running the equivalent of 2-3 marathons a day.  It was very inspiring, seeing how they pushed through the struggles they faced.  It made my knee and hip pain, muscles soreness and toe blisters seem trivial.  One of the guys said at one point: "Ultra running is, in my opinion, 90% mental and the other 10% is...mental."  So very true for any distance running, I think.

So this morning, instead of doing nothing, as I had originally planned, I did a 10 minute Pilates stretching warm up, then I did 30 minutes on the elliptical followed by an easy 15 minutes of walking on the treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!