Looking for something? Try here...

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The coldest 15.5 mile run...ever!

I was so optimistic for a good run today, the forecast called for sun and high temps in the mid-30's.  My husband and I waited a bit, instead of our usual early morning start, and headed out around 8:30.  Though it still felt cold, it seemed like it was going to be tolerable.  Until we met the wind, which pretty much lasted from about mile 3 until the end of our run.  We even altered our original course plan, we had hoped to do 16 miles today and instead we cut it short by about a 1/2 mile.  We had dressed (we thought) warm enough, but nothing could have prepared us for the wind chill.  Luckily, I was wearing my Under Armour jacket which has one of those cowl necks that you can pull up around your face and over your nose.  It saved me, I'm sure of it.  My husband, on the other hand, looks like he may have gotten a little frost bite on his cheeks. :(  At some point I think I heard him say, "I am never running outside again all winter!"

On the bright side, other than the cold, I felt great.  I mean, my legs and body were fully cooperative today and I even felt I had more in me by the time we got home.  That makes me happy.  I honestly think that the many hours I have logged in the past few weeks of just walking on the treadmill have really helped me with my long run endurance.  And considering how today's run went, I think I see a lot more treadmill in my future.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I hate the freezing wind. Hope you had something warm to make you feel better! I'm impressed you stuck to it. Hope Chris' cheeks recover!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!