Looking for something? Try here...

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A recap of yesterday, 6 miles today and Tosca Reno.

Right now I feel like I'm in the mode of just plugging along day to day.  I haven't set any official goals yet, although I am coming closer to making some decisions.  In the meantime, my focus is on taking things one day at a time, one workout at a time, one meal at a time.

Yesterday's workouts included 20 minutes of heavy lifting at the gym before going to spin class.  After spinning I came home and got some things done around the house before heading back to the gym for another class in the evening - Muscle Fusion.  Our normal instructor for the class was sick, so we had a substitute.  It was still a tough workout, though and I increased my weights on most of the exercises, getting particularly heavy on the squats, lunges and also on the bicep reps.

This morning I had intended to head out for a run.  I wasn't sure how long or how far, but I knew I just wanted to run.  After getting the kids off to school, however, my stomach was giving me some trouble so I decided to stay home and use the treadmill, where I could also be close to a bathroom. ;)

I ended up doing a little over 6 miles at a steady pace of between 10-11 min. miles.  It also gave me a chance to get caught up on last week's episodes of The Voice.  Now I just need to catch up on this week...

In nutrition news, I'm still going strong and steady with the clean eating lifestyle, although I am finding that I'm having a few issues crop up.  I have had no trouble steering clear of processed and refined sugar and flour, and I also have no problem getting plenty of whole grains, nuts and fruit.  I drink tons of water, avoid most dairy, opting for my unsweetened almond milk instead, and haven't been drinking diet soda.  I am finding, however, that I'm having a harder time coming up with ways to get all of my lean protein and vegetables in, since there are fewer options for me, at least things that I like.  I've been eating a lot of fish - tilapia or some other kind of white fish - almost daily, along with chicken breast several days a week.  I also got some new, all natural, high quality protein powder, which I've started to take first thing in the morning and also after hard workouts.  I find that most of my green vegetables come from my homemade juice (spinach, kale, carrots, squash, pears, apples) or from salads, but it's difficult for me to branch out much further than that.  Tonight I decided to try something new to go with our fish - pan fried zucchini.  I've never really liked zucchini, except in baked goods, but I got creative and tried my own recipe.  I sliced the zucchini, put some olive oil in a pan, dipped the slices in a mixture of egg and pumpkin puree, then coated them with a mixture of cornmeal, whole wheat flour and sea salt.  Once the oil was heated, I pan "fried" the zucchini slices for a couple of minutes on each side.  Sounds good, right?  Well, the coating was lovely, but it didn't make me like zucchini any more than I did before.  I forced myself to eat a couple of slices, but I don't think I'll be making it again.

I've ordered one of Tosca Reno's (the eat clean lady) books and it should be here any day...just in time, I guess! :)

Tosca Reno's before and after pics.

2 comments:

  1. I have three of her books. So far the recipes have been okay...not great. My kids are still turning their noses up at most everything I make. I just keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those veggies...no wonder your tummy is upset. LOL I used to be a vegetarian and I had the same issues w/ protein...it's tough!! Chicken breasts get so old after awhile, too. You are doing really great w/ your healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!