Looking for something? Try here...

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Book Review: Running the Edge


I'm lucky to have been given the opportunity to read and review the newly revised edition of Running the Edge by Adam Goucher and Tim Catalano.  The cover touts, "Discover the secrets to better running and a better life."  I was pleasantly surprised to find that this is not your typical book about running.  There are no tips on speed work, training schedules or nutrition, but rather an introspective guide to determining your personal standpoint on running (and fitness) as it pertains to the other areas of your life, helping you focus on becoming an all-around better person.

Most runners have several personality characteristics in common.  Runners are, in varying degrees, typically driven, motivated, goal-oriented, hard working individuals.  As I read this book, I found I could easily relate to the ideas presented about how to hone those characteristics and branch them out to encompass a broader, more fulfilling life experience.  The psychological aspects of running are brought into clarity and there are journal entry suggestions throughout the book to assist you in going through the process of self-discovery as you read.

I loved reading the short stories from both Adam and Tim, portraying their personal experiences with the concepts presented in each chapter.  I can tell that this is a book I will come back to at times when workouts seem stale and I need a jump start in reestablishing that richer, more rewarding experience.  This book is a well-written reminder of how we can use running as an important block of life on which to build other meaningful relationships and experiences.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review!! I downloaded this book (for free!) on Sunday but I haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!