Looking for something? Try here...

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Sometimes it helps to switch it up.

Yesterday I woke up with a renewed sense of commitment, after my "blue" day on Thursday.  In the early afternoon, I went to the gym and spent about 30 minutes in the weight room before going to a spin class.  I came out of the spin room after an excellent and difficult workout, feeling exhilarated and ready to keep working hard.

The rest of the day I spent with Chris and the kids.  Our oldest went on a boy scout campout, so after dinner we took the other 3 and went on a hike in the Gibson Jack trail area, hoping to catch a glimpse of the moose that have been hanging out in the area.  It did not disappoint.  We hiked until it started to get dark, then came home and had a fire in the firepit.




This morning I ran with a couple of friends.  While my two running companions planned to run a 9 mile loop, I only had time to do about 5 miles due to a cub scout activity I needed to get to by 9am.  It was a fast 5 for me - my average pace was 9:42 min/mile, and it felt good to push myself.  I'm hoping to take the kids to the pool today for a little swimming, and that will round out my week.

As I look over my workouts for this week, I only got in about 20 miles of running, but I also did 6 miles worth of hiking, 4 spin classes, 2 Muscle Fusion classes and 5 days of strength training on my own.  So while my mileage was lower than what I'm used to, I think it's good to switch things up a bit sometimes.  Besides, this is probably the kind of week I will be doing for the next few months.  I've talked to trainer/instructor Misty about working with me one-on-one and as soon as she sets me up with a customized schedule/training plan, I will be following that instead of winging it on my own.  I can't even tell you how excited I am to get going on my new "plan"!

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited for you too. I was just thinking how fun it has been to read your blogs. You have really inspired me.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!