Looking for something? Try here...

Monday, January 21, 2013

5 day follow-up and the pain we suffer for strength.

Just realized I haven't blogged since Wednesday.  Here's a day-by-day recap of the days I've missed:

Thursday: Another leg/ab workout day.  I spent about an hour and a half in the weight room, then went to Muscle Fusion X class for an hour of HIIT training.  Love, love, love that class and the instructor (my trainer)!

Friday: Chest/shoulder/triceps workout.  I went up to 75 pounds on the bench press - wahoo!!  After an hour and 15 minutes in the weight room, I went to a spin class.  Great Friday workout.

Saturday:  Supposed to be my long run day, but as many of you can appreciate right now, the weather was not very cooperative.  I decided to avoid the sub-zero temperatures and hit the gym.  I did an hour of spinning followed by an hour run on a treadmill (5.5 miles).  2 hours of cardio = decent substitution for a long run, I guess.

Sunday: REST DAY!!

Monday (Today!):  First day of week 10 of my body transformation.  I spent about an hour and a half on legs, and also did a few ab exercises.  I had a little extra time before spin class, so I decided to do some box jumps.  My goal was to do 3 sets of 8-10 jumps. I found this video of a guy doing them the way I do, with the same size box:


I did my first set and made it to 8 before I felt wobbly.  Set 2, I made it to 5...attempted a 6th and failed, big time.  Somehow I lost my footing with one side and caught the step (which is approximately 2 feet tall, by the way) with my shin - in two painful spots, and even got the side of my knee.  I don't even know how.  Being that I was in a busy weight room, I tried to quickly shake it off, even though when I looked down at my leg, I saw the "dents" in my leg already turning purple.  I felt like crying from the pain, but instead I decided to just try to do my third set.  I didn't want fear to overcome me and shake my confidence.  Box jumps are hard, but I can do them...it just takes a lot of focus, and apparently I should probably do them at the beginning of my workout instead of at the end when my legs are tired!


I went on to do the spinning class, but I won't say it didn't hurt.  I've been icing my leg since then, and hopefully the swelling will go down.  Should make my interval run interesting tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!