Looking for something? Try here...

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Legs, shoulders and abs, oh my.

Yesterday was the first day of week 9 of my current training plan and a leg workout day.  I started out on the leg press machine - I'm at 180 pounds on that thing, which is pretty good I think, considering 8 weeks ago I could barely do 90 pounds.  I do the leg press in a super set with hamstring curls on the GHD machine, then I did barbell reverse lunges with leg extension, and standing calf raises with bench lunges.  When I finished with all of that, I still had a little time left before spin class, so I did 3 sets of dead lifts and 3 sets of box jumps.  I was feeling pretty shaky by the time I went into spinning.  Today I am feeling sore in my glutes, so I must have done a good workout. :)

Today was shoulders/abs day.  I began on the Smith machine for seated shoulder press, in a super set with reverse crunches on a bench, then lateral raises with planks, rope front raises with hanging knee raises and dumbell reverse flys with ab crunches on the machine.  My final set was on the shoulder press machine.  After all of that, I made my way to a treadmill for my interval run.


I started out with 5 minutes of walking at 3.8 mph, then 5 minutes jogging at 6.0 mph.  After that warm-up, I started my intervals.  I did a pyramid, starting my sprints at 7.2 mph for 30 seconds then rest for 30 seconds, then up to 7.4 mph for 30 secs, and 30 secs rest, and so on until I topped out at 9.0 mph.  Then I went backwards from there until I was back to 7.2 mph, where I then ran for 4 or 5 minutes, then slowed to walk for the last 5 minutes.  I ended having done 5.2 miles in 50 minutes.  One of the best interval runs I've had in a while and it felt great.

1 comment:

  1. Intervals, yuck. Good for you! You're so tough. I have given myself permission to wait for March to do speed. Workouts that is. I don't do drugs. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is the fuel for this blog. Leave your comments!